Your church can directly help a North American missionary with items needed for ministry and outreach. We have included step-by-step instructions and a list of missionaries and their requested items.
For more complete suggestions for how to celebrate Christmas in August®, see the Summer 2016 issue of Missions Leader.
- Pray and select the missionary who will receive your gifts.
- Make copies of the list of things the missionary wants. Give the list to everyone in the church.
- Bring new, unwrapped items to the church. (Don’t bring anything that is not on the list. Also don’t worry if you cannot provide everything on the list, because other churches are collecting items, too.)
- Pack the box or boxes.
- Include a card or envelope that already has your church’s address and a stamp. The missionary can use this to let you know that he or she received your gifts.
- Write the missionary’s address on the box. Put your church’s return address.
- Pray together for the missionary and the people he or she serves. Pray that the box(es) will arrive safely. Thank God for the opportunity to help the missionary in his or her work.
- Take the box(es) to your local post office or UPS office. Postage may cost a lot so look for the best way to send your gifts. Add the required postage.
Greg and Mia Pendarvis founded Victory Sports Outreach, a nonprofit organization, in 2004 to share the gospel of Jesus Christ using sports. They offer sports leagues during the school year (fall, winter, and spring), averaging 350 participants per season. They also conduct sports camp/Vacation Bible School during the summer, involving more than 900 children. They are involved in speaking events and teaching churches how to conduct leagues and camps.
- Gas cards for missions trips and trips to local fields and courts
- Gift cards from Walmart/Sam’s Club, Amazon, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Academy Sports, Home Depot, Lowe’s, and Oriental Trading Company for sports equipment, supplies for missions trips, etc.
- Outreach Bibles—These are given to campers in the summer as well as to new participants in sports leagues each season. The NIV Outreach Bible is available from Biblica Direct: BiblicaDirect.com/niv-outreach-bible-2, BiblicaDirect.com/niv-outreach-bible-1, BiblicaDirect.com/niv-holy-bible-1 (3 different cover designs).
- Victory Sports wristbands—These are given out for leagues as well as missions trips (campers and outreach). This company has the Pendarvis order on file as Victory Sports Outreach, Greg Pendarvis.
- Ball of Many Colors—The Pendarvises have donated more than 1,000 of these soccer balls for missions trips across the world and use them for their missions trips and leagues during the school year to share the gospel.
- Incrediballs (soft baseballs)
- Basketballs for younger children (size 3 and 27.5)
- Footballs (youth-size)
c/o Greg and Mia Pendarvis
1110 Doby Court
Fort Mill, SC 29715
Pierre Jean is pastor of a Haitian church in Jersey City, New Jersey.
The following materials will be used for the Sunday School program, the children’s music program, and the English as a second language program with evangelization activities:
- materials for children’s Sunday School activities: construction paper, crayons, glue, children’s scissors, etc.; children’s activity books for different ages, from past VBS or other Christian curriculum for children
- Sunday School materials for youth: lessons and activity materials
- Bibles (in English and French), including children’s Bibles
- boom box with CD player
- musical instruments: electric keyboard, guitar, ukulele (anything that can be used for worship)
- computer for ESL program
- ESL textbooks for Haitian adults
Pierre Jean/House of Grace Church
452 Pacific Ave.
Jersey City, NJ 07304
Oscar Sanchez is a field specialist for migrant ministries for the California Southern Baptist Convention.
The following items are needed for hundreds of migrant families throughout California who have experienced hardships the last few years because of the ongoing drought:
- hygiene items: soap, shampoo, combs, toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc.
- washcloths and towels
- school supplies: crayons, construction paper, notebook paper, notebooks, pens, pencils, erasers, children’s scissors, etc.
California Migrant Ministry
678 East Shaw Avenue
Fresno, CA 93710-7704